top of page

Building Licenses

Building licenses are required before beginning projects to enlarge, repair, change, add to or demolish a structure, and to install equipment or systems in a structure.


Housing Rental License

All businesses that operate a rental property in Philadelphia need to: Register for an Activity License, or Get a Commercial Activity License.They must also hold a Rental License.

Commercial Activity License

You need a Commercial Activity License to do business in Philadelphia. This includes businesses that are located outside the city limits that do business in the city. This license links all of your businesses and the legal entity you registered for your Business Income and Receipts Tax (BIRT).

Philly Business Tax Account

All businesses must register for a Business Tax Account number from the Department of Revenue and obtain a Commercial Activity License from the Department of Licenses and Inspections.

bottom of page